Friday, January 02, 2009

Resolutions

Okay, I admit it.  I am a writer of resolutions.  I try very hard to stick to them every year.  I cannot say I accomplish my goals, but I am glad to say that even in the trying to do them, I accomplish more than if I did not set the goals in the first place.

I love new beginnings, so January is one of my favourite months.  Even though we are smack in the middle of a Canadian winter, behold, all things are new.  A brand new year stretches out before me.  I have another chance to do things right, to touch the lives of others in a meaningful way, to grow closer to my loved ones, and to draw nearer to my God.

If I were to write my goals for 2009, they would be something like these ones:

2009 Resolutions

Read over these resolutions every Sunday.

·         Continue Memorizing Scripture. Having the Word of God at hand is good – having it on your heart is better. Let these be my words: “Thy word have I hid in my heart…”

·         Read through ESV-Study Bible.

·         Develop a character of helping others. Grow in grace and compassion. Let me never consider myself better than others, but consider myself the chief of sinners – seek God’s help in developing humility. Let me consider all others better than myself.

·         Develop patience. No-one is so sinful or bad that they deserve sinful wrath from another sinner. God is infinitely patient with me. How can I be any different?

·         Develop Christ-likeness. Study the gospels of Christ in order to learn better how to imitate Him.

·         Prayer time - Designate prayer time and stick to it.

·         Seek God’s help in controlling temper.

·         Redeem the time – do not waste away idle hours doing nothing.

·         Let me never waste an opportunity to spread the gospel – I pray that I may have courage to step forward when the way is frightening, when all are against me. May fear of death or pain never keep me from proclaiming God’s name.

·         Let every word of my mouth, every thought from my mind, every emotion I feel, be held captive by God for His glory. In every circumstance, may I remember that I am God’s letter to this world, that I am His ambassador to this Earth. May I live like it every moment.

·         Read biographies and histories – Take the examples of faith from Christians past.

·         Read 50 theology books – and write reviews/comments to prove it.

·         Let this be the description of my life from this day forth :  Romans 12:9-21

 

"Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

 

·         If ever I come to terrible persecution, let me not curse those who torment me, but instead follow the example of Stephen, and die praying for them.

·         Be a godly example to family and friends. May I be ever ready for God to work through me.

·         May I never be afraid to stand up for others weaker than myself. 


These goals for 2009 were written by my lovely daughter, Linda.  I plan to read them every day.   I also plan to walk more, love more, relax more, and learn more.  Tomorrow I will share my walking goals for this year, along with my reading goals.  I am just thankful that I have been given more time to accomplish some of them.

Can’t beat that!


No comments: