Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Step Diet


As I said previously, I have recently purchased a book called, "The Step Diet".  I have fought the battle of the bulge most of my life.  Celiac Disease has complicated the whole nutrition/diet cycle.  I have to be very careful about what I eat, and in the past couple of months have discovered that it isn't only wheat/gluten that causes me pain and other nasty symptoms.  Apparently, nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant), corn and soy bother me as well.  Unless you've been educated in the fine art of label-reading, you would NOT believe how many hidden sources of wheat/gluten/tomatoes/potatoes/corn & soy there are.

That's why a diet, for me, is usually complicated.

However, this Step Diet book is very simple.  I am required to record my steps for a week - so far, I have walked 9093, 4443, 6967, and so far today, 6148 steps.  At the end of the week, I am to average my steps, then add 2,000 steps per day.  That's it.  Two thousand steps per day, plus paying attention to when I am tempted to overeat.  If I want that extra cookie, well and good, but I'll have to walk an extra 3,000 steps that day...  not exactly worth it, I think.

I like the idea of setting small goals in order to get in the number of steps I need per day.  Five minutes of walking before meals gives me an extra 15 minutes by the end of the day.  Instead of sending the kids up to change the load of laundry, I'll do it.  Instead of getting someone else to empty the dishwasher, I will take those extra steps.  

The book makes the point that most weight gain happens gradually, over a long period of time.  By making wiser choices, the weight can come off gradually, over a similar period.  I don't have to count calories, and I don't have to avoid foods I like (there are so few I can eat, anyway).  I just have to stop when I feel satisfied, and move more.

Sounds simple to me.  I will try to keep you posted on how it goes.  I will weigh myself at the end of my week of recording my normal steps, then keep a record of steps taken and weight loss that ensues.  Precept upon precept, line upon line, little by little...that's my plan for 2009.

No comments: