Saturday, November 10, 2007

Birthing babies...easy as pie?

I was surfing the web yesterday and came across this comment:

"Regarding giving birth to children… after so many, eventually all you have to do is just cough or sneeze and there you go… out comes baby."


Now, I know this dear lady was just making a joke, but I was thinking about Amy (from Amy's Humble Musings...see link on side bar) who is about to give birth any day. I responded to the comment as follows:

"As a woman who has given birth to TWELVE beautiful babies, let me tell you that this poster doesn't know what she is talking about. Labour is a difficult experience for most women. It takes courage and perseverance, and strength. And one more thing for those of you who haven't given birth, ever, or have had only one or two: it actually gets more difficult, emotionally, the more you experience it. IT HURTS. It is not pleasant. And you remember. That old wives' tale about "as soon as you hold that baby in your arms, you forget the pain"... HOGWASH!

Is it worth it? Of course. Children really are an heritage of the Lord, and the fruit of the womb really is His reward. But never assume that after a few it gets easy."

It's not easy. Never has been, since the Fall of man. But it is the path the Lord has chosen to bring children into the world. It takes strength of character and grace to face the upcoming delivery.

Instead of joking about it, or minimizing its difficulty, let us acknowledge the sacrifices made by women who carry and deliver these precious bundles of joy. Let us support them in prayer, help them with casseroles, and babysit the older ones for them so they can recuperate.

I'd like to see us go back to the days when motherhood was viewed as something sacred.

In Christ,
Janet

5 comments:

Martha A. said...

I think of this when I hear people who do scheduled c-sections in order to plan out their lives to a tee (not needed ones, just for convenience and so they do not have any pain)

I had people who would say that my labors were easy because they were shorter than 12 hours, I would have to say when I had my first, I said that not disrespectfully, but Jesus did not know what He said when He said that you no longer remember the anguish for joy a baby is come into the world. I remember that pain to this day, yes I was happy and it showed me why I went through it, but the memory of the pain did not fade!

My mom did have a couple that seemed like they just fell out to us observers, but even to her, that was hard work and as she would say that was just the beginning of hard work.

Sarah said...

I really appreciated this post. I have three children and towards the end of each pregnancy, I certainly dealt with much apprehension as I too could not forget the pain of labor. Children absolutely are worth any sacrifces that we need to make.

I don't want to be argumentative but I did want to ask a question regarding the comment about planned C-sections. If as Christian women we believe that the pain of labor was the result of the Fall, part of the curse, why wouldn't we want to bring substaintial restoration/healing to this area? Why would we embrace pain when we can alleviate some or all of it? I'm not trying to say that c-sections are a panacea for pain relief but I simply cannot understand why women accept medicine/surgery/therapy to deal with other health related issues but shun them during delivery. The labor that we experience as women is not what God intended, it is tainted by our sin, is it not?

I certainly don't want to take liberties to sidetrack from this post too much. I'm not trying to be devisive just trying to understand my fellow sisters in Christ regarding this issue.

Niall MacC said...

Well said. I only have one son and after reading other people's blogs and their experiences I now see your point.

When I had Sean (9 yrs ago) his father was dead and I was a non believer. I couldn't get over the fact that I was left on my own with him and although I was a good mum and loved him very much, I regretted having him.

Now that I am saved (6 years) I understand that children are a gift and heritage from God and I love him all the more and I don't regret having him, far from it, I am so grateful to God for giving him to me, and a very godly husband too! Praise the Lord!

Martha A. said...

I was only talking about people I have read about like movie stars that do not want the baby to inconvenience them so have a c-section early so they do not have to have the waiting of birth.

There are so many things to be thankful for that we have medical people who are knowledgable enough to save people's lives with c-sections and medication, it is overused sometimes, but many good things are.

Anonymous said...

I followed the link from Amy's website, and have two things I would like to reply to. First, thank-you for pointing out that labour HURTS! But also for recognizing that it's worth it. I've really struggled with not wanting to go through it again, and I can't tell you what an encouragement it was to read your post. I'm pregnant with #3 right now.
Second, regarding c-sections, these are NOT a way to avoid pain!! It's a major abdominal surgery, ladies. It's not something you just pop up after and go on about your life. If you want a way to manage the pain of labour, have an epidural. A c-section is really a major surgery, and it frustrates me no end that they are treated so casually, by doctors and patients alike.