Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Corn and Augustine

In spite of no hot water (Rick promises to get at that problem today) Daniel and Patrick helped me to blanch and freeze about a bushel of corn last evening! The children first husked the corn out by the pasture, and the horses very much enjoyed eating a feast of corn husks. They used a wagon to bring all of the corn into the house, and then Daniel and Patrick cut the kernels from the corn. Meanwhile, I got the pot boiling with about a cup of water, then added about 3 cups of corn, more or less (two small bowls full), and brought it back to a boil for 3 or 4 minutes. I cooled the corn in a 9 by 13 inch cake pan which was floating in the sink in cold water. I kept the water cold with ice packs. By the time the corn was cooled and packed into a freezer bag, the next batch was ready. Quite a system!

We kept out enough corn for corn on the cob, dripping with butter, for supper. Yummy! Rick barbecued steaks, and Heather made a delicious stir-fry with leftovers from home and a few added veggies of mine. We were able to get the dishes done by sending the boys for hot water. There is such a sense of accomplishment to canning and freezing food for the winter. I enjoy opening my freezer or cupboard doors and gazing at the results of our hard labour, knowing that we will be enjoying this food in the middle of winter.

I am still thinking about Augustine. My mind was filled with a sense of Sovereign Joy yesterday. The corn was a gift from God - all food is! I get annoyed when I read the bumper sticker, "If you ate today, thank a farmer." While it is somewhat true, it totally misses the point that in spite of all the labour and wisdom of the best farmer in the world, without God's many blessings not one blade of grass would grow.

I love being in love with the God of the Universe. It is such a joy to consider that He chose me, that He opened my eyes to see His beautiful Son, that He opened my understanding to believe His Word, that He lives in me and fills me with His Spirit, and that one day, I will be free from this body of sin and live forever in His glorious presence.

To my joy, while browsing on the internet this morning, I found the message by John Piper on the Life of Augustine. I heartily recommend it:


http://www.desiringgod.org/library/biographies/98augustine.html

Back to work now.

Janet

No comments: