Sunday, March 16, 2008

August Rush

We sat and watched the video, "August Rush", this evening. It touched my heart! There is something to be said about the connection between a mother and her child, even when they are separated at the baby's birth.

The music in the movie was superb. The storyline was good, the acting was great. I especially watched the hero's expression on his face as he interacted with the music, first in his head, and then with the guitar, the piano, and the organ. He personified JOY!

I have always been touched by music. I love to sing, and I pay attention to the sounds around me, especially the sounds of nature: thunder crashing, waves hitting the shore, birds singing, dogs barking, etc.

One of my favourite memories is of my father, on Sunday mornings, playing the "Sound of Music" record full blast in order to wake us up. Nothing like waking up to the sound of the birds chirping , the music swelling, and then the voice: "The hills are alive, with the sound of music..."

I am thankful that God has blessed our family with musical ability. Some of the children play piano, and I love to hear them practice. Matt has played the drums since he was young, and Linda is following in his path with a bodhran. Not sure how to spell that, but it's an Irish hand-held drum. Most of the kids can harmonize, like their father, which is a real gift.

When I was a child, our family often sang for hours while travelling. Dad would whistle and Mom would sing, and Nancy and I would sing along with Mom. It passed the time and made the trip much more enjoyable.

August Rush celebrates music and love and family. It's the best music movie I have seen, since Mr. Holland's Opus.

No comments: