Saturday, March 22, 2008

Pilate - a man without guts.

When I was a child, I used to feel sorry for Pilate. I thought, "He really didn't want to crucify Jesus. He was forced to do so by the crowd of people."

Now that I am grown, I see him in a much different light. Pilate was a man who hadn't the guts to stand for what was right. He found no fault in Jesus, but still he had Him whipped. He wanted to let Him go, but when the crowd yelled, "Crucify Him!" and "Release unto us Barabas!" he didn't have the guts to say no. He feared the people. He feared the Romans. He feared his wife's dream. He was a coward, through and through.

I have met men like that in my lifetime. One man refused to stand for what was right when he knew a family was being defamed and denounced unfairly. He feared the repercussions. He refused to take a stand, even though he was torn up about it. He just didn't have the guts.

When I wrote a letter to the editor of a local newspaper, explaining that I believed that corporal punishment, when administered by a loving parent in order to correct a child and train him in "the way he should go", was a legitimate tool, not one person had the guts to write in and stand with me on the issue. They stopped me on the street and quietly commended me, but they would not take a public stand, lest they would offend others. Sounds like Pilate, who was afraid of offending the Jews, and the Romans.

Thankfully, I have met men who are willing to take a stand, to risk their reputation, their job, their position, even their life.

I can name a few. Ezra Levant is one who will not compromise when it comes to speaking (or writing) the truth. He has had his life threatened; he stands to lose financially if the Human Rights Tribunal has its way. But Ezra is a man of principle.

I can write about the anonymous heroes who go into countries to preach and teach the gospel of Jesus Christ, even though there is a good possibility they could end up in jail, or worse.

Here at home we have men like Royal Hamel who is willing to "Light the Darkness", writing letters and holding meetings to tell the truth about what is happening in our society.

I have five sons, and seven daughters. It is my desire to teach them to be men and women of principle, willing to take a stand, no matter what the cost. I cannot see the future, but it would not surprise me if some day, my children or grandchildren will be called upon to renounce their faith in Jesus Christ. I hope and pray that they will be 'strong and courageous', that they will understand that the Lord their God is with them, wherever they go. I pray that they will stand firm in the face of imminent danger, as so many Christians of long ago have done.

I thank God that my husband has guts. He is not afraid to take a stand. He sets a good example for his sons, and his daughters. And for me.

No comments: