Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Grimshaw's Creed

Here is an extract:

I believe that Jesus is a full, as well as a free Saviour. The same yesterday, today and for ever. He alone is not only the believer's wisdom and righteousness, but his sanctification and redemption; and in Him is a fountain ever open for sin and uncleanness unto the last breath of his life. Here is my daily, necessary privilege, my relief and my comfort.

. . . I think that all that is not of faith, and consequently before faith, is sin. Nor will I allow that it is anymore by good works after grace received, than before, that a believer is saved. For however our Lord may graciously consider them at the last day, eternal life is certainly the gift of God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ alone has purchased for us what grace in heart and life makes us meet for. What have we to boast of? Or what have we that we have not received? Surely, by grace we are saved.

When I die I shall then have my greatest grief and my greatest joy. My greatest grief that I have done so little for Jesus; and my greatest joy, that Jesus has done so much for me. My last words shall be "Here goes an unprofitable servant."
Yet God, in grace and mercy, will say to William Grimshaw and all God's children, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of the Lord!"

Amazing grace.

I was encouraged when I pondered Grimshaw's creed. Jesus is a fountain, filled with life, ready to receive all of my sin and uncleanness, and to replace it with His righteousness and purity. What an amazing transaction that is! It is His grace that enables me to do His work well. Without that grace, I am like a branch cut off from the Vine - worthless.

God is still pruning me, taking off the old dead limbs, trimming back the ugly, infested parts, making me so I will bear more fruit. This pruning process is uncomfortable, even painful sometimes.

I was blessed this morning as I read John Piper's blog, Why God Doesn't Fully Explain Pain.
It's enough to know that God is in control, that He is working all things for good, that He is refining me so that I can be more useful, and that His power is magnified in my weakness.

Lord, even though I am an unprofitable servant, I realize that any good You choose to do through me is glorious, because it reflects Your glory. Thank You for the trials You send - for I know they have a good purpose. Thank You for Your immeasurable, precious promises. You are a God of grace and power. I trust in You alone.

No comments: