Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I have lost 8 lbs!

I have been on an Elimination Detoxification diet for about two weeks. It hasn't been fun, but I am persevering, simply because I want to be a better steward of my body, and I want to be a healthy mom who is around to see Christopher, my youngest, get married and have babies. He is only 8, so I need to take care of myself NOW so I can live a lot longer than my mom or grandmother did.

The diet was recommended by my naturopath.


Foods to Include

Foods to Exclude

Fruits

Unsweetened fresh, frozen, water-packed or canned fruits (except oranges)

Oranges, orange juice

Vegetables

All fresh raw, steamed, sautéed, juiced or roasted vegetable focusing on low carb choices

Corn, creamed vegetables

Breads & Cereals

Non-gluten products made from rice, millet, buckwheat, potato, tapioca, arrowroot, amaranth, quinoa, teff

All gluten products

Legumes

All beans, peas, and lentils

All soybean products like tofu, tempeh, soy milk, soy nuts, etc.

Nuts & Seeds

Almonds, cashews, walnuts, sesame (tahini), sunflower, pumpkin, (all best consumed raw and fresh); butters made from these nuts and seeds

Peanuts and peanut butter

Meat & Fish

Fresh or frozen and water packed fish, organic chicken, turkey, lamb and wild game

Beef, pork, cold cuts, hotdogs, sausages, canned meats, shellfish, eggs

Dairy & Milk Substitutes

Milk substitutes such as rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk, and other nut milks

Milk, cheese cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, butter, ice cream, frozen yogurt, non-dairy creamers

Fats & Oils

Cold-expeller pressed oils such as olive, flaxseed, canola, safflower, sunflower, sesame, walnut, pumpkin or almond oils

Margarine, butter, shortening, processed and hydrogenated oils, spreads and mayo

Beverages

Filtered or alkalized water, herbal tea, mineral water, green tea

Pop, alcoholic drinks, coffee, tea, other caffeinated beverages, distilled water

Sweeteners

Brown rice syrup, blackstrap molasses, stevia, honey, fruit sweeteners such as agave nectar

White or brown sugar, maple syrup, high fructose corn syrup, candy, desserts made with these sweeteners

Spices & Condiments

All spices

Chocolate, ketchup, mustard, relish, chutney, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, or other condiments containing vinegar or sugar


I haven't found the diet to be too difficult. When I think about it, I miss chocolate, beef, coffee and cheese/cream the most. Rick and I were in the car this evening, and I suddenly had a craving for chocolate, triggered by the fact that we were close to a convenience store. My mouth actually watered!

I tried to add exercise into the mix, but injured my hip. For two days I was crippled, and it hurt to walk, to stand, to sit and to lie down. Nothing helped. So I don't want to do that again.

If I am to lose all of the weight I need to lose, I should be on this diet ( or A diet recommended by our NPD ) until December.

It's a small price to pay for being healthy.

Janet

No comments: