Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Just a day...

I got up early and rushed out the door, heading for a meeting. That would have been fine, except that for some strange reason, I got very little sleep last night. The water softener went through its cycle, making a terrible racket. Rick assured me that this sound was normal, but I couldn't get to sleep. Then, I woke up too early, well before the alarm went off. Instead of a meeting, I ended up working on some computer stuff, helping to get a newsletter finished and sent out. I would have rather have been home.

The one thing that was a treat was working on a fast computer with a high-speed connection. My incredibly slow dial-up is a constant source of irritation to me. It is so frustrating to try to download a file, as I have been trying to do for two days, only to have it get to page seven out of twenty-five, and quit.

So, what did I learn today? (What character traits am I working on?)

I learned that in order to do your best, you have to get a good night's sleep. (Discipline - especially in scheduling.)

I learned that it is annoying to be told things you already know. (Patience)

I learned that in order to do a good job at anything it is essential to have the right tools. (Wisdom.)

I learned that home truly is where my heart is. (Contentment.)

I learned that even though my high-speed is going to be a long time coming, I will enjoy it even more when it finally arrives, having endured this S - L - O - W speed for so long. (Anticipation.)

I learned that I am lacking in discipline, patience, wisdom, contentment, and anticipation. My heart is deceitful above all things, and I want to order my world. When things don't go the way I want them to, I get depressed, angry, frustrated, whiny, and miserable.

Thankfully, I have a wonderfully patient husband and loving children who welcomed me home, listened to me, and took care of me. They brought me my supper and gave me kisses and tea. They even tried to help me download the file I want (to no avail).

It's good to be home.

Song for a Little House by Christopher Morley

I'm glad our house is a little house,
Not too tall nor too wide;
I'm glad the hovering butterflies
Feel free to come inside.

Our little hose is a friendly house,
It is not shy or vain;
It gossips with the talking trees
And makes friends with the rain.

And quick leaves cast a shimmer of green
Against our whited walls,
And in the phlox the courteous bees
Are paying duty calls.


I am glad that I live in this little old house, with my family close by to love me.

For mother-love and father-care,
For brothers strong and sisters fair,
For love at home and work each day,
For guidance lest we go astray,
Father in heaven, we thank thee.


Most of all, I am glad that God in His wisdom and Providence made me a wife and a mother.

Only One Mother by George Cooper

Hundreds of stars in the pretty sky,
Hundreds of shells on the shores together,
Hundreds of birds that go singing by,
Hundreds of lambs in the sunny weather.

Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn,
Hundreds of bees in the purple clover,
Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn,
But only one mother the wide world over.


Thank You, Lord.

No comments: