Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fatty the 'Fraidy-Cat

I am sitting at my desk, and my huge dog, Fatty is keeping me company. He is under my desk with his body wrapped around my feet. He's not there because he likes my company. He's not one of those "loyal companion" type of dogs who always wants to be in the same space as its master. No, Fatty is plastered against my legs because he is downright terrified.

There's a storm a-brewing. This is nothing new. We've had plenty of thunderstorms in the past couple of months, and lately it's been an almost daily occurrence.

You'd think Fatty would be used to them by now. But, oh, no...each rumble and flash brings with it the certainty of sudden death, according to Fatty.

He's always been afraid of thunderstorms, ever since he was a pup and was born outside during a raging storm. His brother, Abraham, is only 6 months' difference in age, and doesn't give a hoot about a thunderstorm. So, it must have been his traumatic birth that did it.

Now, if Fatty were a reasoning sort of creature, I would have to tell him that he ought to consider the evidence. Yes, he's been scared of thunderstorms for a long time, but have they ever actually HURT him? ("Well, no...not really...I guess not," he'd have to reply.)

I'd continue, "So, all the rumblings and vibrations and the loud noise and flash in the sky haven't HURT? Tell me why you are terrified, then."

Fatty would look at me with a dumb look on his face, and shrug. He'd have nothing to say, because we both know he has nothing to fear.

People are a lot like Fatty. Whether they're young or old, male or female, strong or weak, they all have irrational fears. Critter (nearly 9) didn't want to go up to bed this evening, because his sisters are away, and he didn't want to be alone. He asked me if Dan and Pat were coming to bed soon. I reminded him that Jared (25 year old brother, about 6 and a half feet tall) was upstairs already. I could tell by the look on his face that Jared's presence wasn't good enough. He was still scared. He wanted his brothers, in the same room, and nothing else would do.

One of my daughters told me about her irrational fear, experienced just this morning. Her baby slept in longer than usual, and she had a momentary panicky feeling as she went to the baby's room to check on her. We all experience those kinds of "what ifs" from time to time.

I, too, have some irrational fears. Even though I know that God is the Provider, the Creator and Sustainer of all life, I still wonder sometimes if He is going to take care of me. Will Rick get the work he desires? Will we be able to pay our bills and put groceries on the table?

The truth is that I am a lot like Fatty. I KNOW that God has always provided for me and for my family. We have never missed a meal. We've always had a roof over our heads. He has never, ever left us, nor has He forsaken us. He always keeps His promises. So why do I allow myself to fear?

I gave Critter a hug as I sent him to bed this evening. I told him that the Bible has a good verse for times when we're afraid. "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee!"

Psalm 56:3 Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.
4 In God (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not fear.

I wish I could explain that to Fatty.

4 comments:

Rae said...

Poor Fatty... he is a pathetic, huge, sweet, even tempered dog, and it's so sad that he has these moments of complete fear.

Anonymous said...

When I am afraid I will trust in You. Psalm 56:3
Just the verse we have been teaching our little Esther!
Oh your last post was just what I needed to hear.
When our our situation seems so impossible is excactly when we need to trust, I have to admitt to being ratter like poor old Fatty... well in that i'm prone to hiding or being irrational rather than trusting... like fatty we don't fully understand but we can trust inthe Lord who does, and he sees the full picture

Kim from Canada said...

Hello Janet,
I am still enjoying your words of wisdom on many of the topics you choose...this one prompted sharing a scripture section I have been dwelling on lately.

1 Peter 1:6-9 (especially verse 7)
When you read it, apply the question, "do I choose to have fear or have faith during this fire/storm/trial?"

Feel free to read to Fatty! ;o)

Janet said...

1 ¶ Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
2 elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.
3 ¶ Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 ¶ In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials,
7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
9 receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.

By God's grace, Kim, I choose to have faith, that may be found to praise, honour and glory at the revelation of my Saviour, Jesus.

Thanks for the encouragement!