Monday, June 09, 2008

Spring Rain

We've been getting a lot of rain lately.

Yesterday, we were on our way home and we could see a black bank of clouds, ominous, hanging in the west ahead of us. It didn't help that Heather had phoned to warn us of tornadoes that had touched down in Lucan. She had seen spiraling clouds right above her house, too. So, I scanned the sky as Daniel drove into the rain, which pelted the van for three or four minutes.

On the other side, it was light! What looked like miles of black storm turned out to be just a temporary inconvenience.

When we got home, we could see that there had been plenty of rain. We aren't complaining, even though every single Monday night since Critter started soccer has been rainy. We know that the plants won't grow without the rain.

The grass is particularly green this year. And, like Angie said, "It takes a lot of rain to make grass this green."

We've been getting a lot of storms lately. The kind that come with rain descending, winds beating against the house, and floods rising. Let's see: The engine blew. The well had to be replaced. Rick had an abcess. I had a few migraines. The job is ending. The bills are not. Yep, rain, wind and floods have been beating against our house.

Matthew 7:24 "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 "and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
26 "But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: 27 "and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall."

Thank God, our house is built on the Rock.

So, we persevere, knowing that God is doing His work in our lives, and trusting that no matter what, He will work all things together for good, because we are people who love Him. We love Him, because He first loved us.

We've been getting a lot of reminders lately.

The rain and the storms don't bother Him. It's not that He's apathetic. He is so very much in control. God reminded me of that fact when I was watching "Prince Caspian" yesterday. There is a scene that shows Lucy meeting with Aslan, and the mood is joyous, bright, and peaceful. Meanwhile, the battle is raging a short distance away. Aslan doesn't move, yet you know that he is in complete control of the situation, and nothing is escaping his sight. He will act when the time is right.

Aslan is a picture of Jesus. When Lazarus died, Mary ran to Jesus and told Him that if He'd been there, her brother would not have died. Jesus knew Lazarus was dying, but took His time. He had a greater plan. There was no need to hurry. He would act when the time was right.

When the storms blow, we do well to remind ourselves that Jesus will act when the time is right.

Matthew 8:23 ¶ Now when He got into a boat, His disciples followed Him.
24 And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep.
25 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, "Lord, save us! We are perishing!"
26 But He said to them, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.

We were reminded in our Bible reading that Jesus will rebuke the winds and the sea, when the time is right.

27 So the men marveled, saying, "Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" This is Jesus! The Lord of Glory. The Watcher of men. The Saviour of our Souls. The Shepherd Whom we follow. The Master Whom we obey, along with the wind and the sea.

People have asked me, "How can you praise God with all you've gone through?" And I say, "How can I not?" He's my only shelter from the storm.



Bring the Rain by Mercy Me

I can count a million times
People asking me how I

Can praise You with all that I've gone through.
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly

Change who I forever am in You?

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind,
To turn my back on you, oh Lord-
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through this time...

So I pray


Bring me joy, bring me peace,
Bring the chance to be free,
Bring me anything that brings You glory;
And I know there'll
be days
When this life brings me pain-

But if that's what it takes to praise You,
Jesus, bring the rain!


I am Yours regardless of
the clouds that may
loom above
because You are much greater than
my pain.
You who made a way for me
suffering
Your destiny.
So tell me what's a little rain?


[1st Chorus]

Holy, holy, holy
Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty
is the Lord God Almighty
I'm forever singing

[2nd Chorus 2x]

everybody singing
Holy holy holy
you are holy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HgAVenbUU

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree totally - but it is our weak human nature that ALWAYS wants to sing "Rain, rain, go away - come again some other day!"

Janet said...

Yeah, but...it is recognizing our weakness that forces us to depend on the only One who can handle it anyway. :) I love you, Anonymous!