Friday, June 13, 2008

Idleness



I think all video games are like the one, above. They may be a bit more exciting, but they accomplish just as much.


Against idleness and mischief

by Isaac Watts


How doth the little busy bee

Improve each shining hour,

And gather honey all the day

From every opening flower!


How skillfully she builds her cell!

How neat she spreads the wax!

And labours hard to store it well

With the sweet food she makes.


In works of labour or of skill

I would be busy too:

For Satan finds some mischief still

For idle hands to do.


In books, or work, or healthful play

Let my first years be past,

That I may give for every day

Some good account at last.


We've had an incredibly busy week, but when I sat down this evening at the computer, I couldn't recall what took up most of our time. We did some gardening work, some housework, some yard work. We went to a piano recital and a soccer game. We shopped for groceries and watched a bit of television in the evenings.

The week just flew by, and I really don't know how the days disappeared so quickly.

Part of the reason is that we've been helping a friend who is selling most of her worldly goods in order to relocate. That certainly cut into our routine. But when I try to remember what tasks occupied my mind this week, it's all a blur.

I prefer weeks that start with a checklist of things that need to be accomplished. I love to check off the tasks, one by one. However, this week didn't seem to run that way. It was made up of a million little interruptions.

Lord, I give it all to You. I thank You that most of this week was spent serving my family or friends. I thank you that even when my life is a blur and I feel harried, You are calm. You have it all under control.

Thank You for ordering my steps. May my day tomorrow with friends and family be a blessing, both to me and to them. And may you be glorified in all that we say and do. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments: